What Are the Differences between 417 Working Holiday Visas & 462 Work and Holiday Visas?

What Are the Differences between 417 Working Holiday Visas & 462 Work and Holiday Visas?

Getting confused with all this talk of 417 and 462 visas? Both allow non-Australians to come to Australia on a working holiday, but they do have slight differences.

Who can apply?

  • Working Holiday (subclass 417) visas are open to people with passports from Belgium, Canada, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Republic of Ireland, Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Taiwan, and the United Kingdom.
  • Work and Holiday (subclass 462) visas are open to people with passports from Argentina, Bangladesh, Chile, Indonesia, Malaysia, Poland, Thailand, Turkey, the United States, and Uruguay.

How do the visa requirements vary?

  • 462 visas have education requirements, while 417 visas do not. See more information about these requirements here.
  • 462 visas require a letter of support from your government of origin (unless you’re from the U.S.), while 417 visas do not. See more information about that requirement here.
  • 462 visas also require evidence of functional English, while 417 visas do not. More information here.

Does the maximum length of stay vary?

Yes! This is one of the most significant differences between 417 and 462 visas. Those holding a 417 visa are eligible to apply for a second yearlong working holiday visa if they complete three months of specified work in regional Australia. You can learn more about this specified work option here. 462 visa holders can not apply for a second year work and holiday visa.

Hopefully that clears up any confusion over 417 and 462 visas. Happy travels!

Related Posts


  1. How Can I Stay in Australia for a Second Year on a 417 Working Holiday Visa?
    September 29, 2014 at 3:46 am Reply

    […] To apply for a second working holiday visa, first and foremost, you must be on a 417 visa, as opposed to a 462 visa. You can read about the differences here. […]

  2. Marielle Carpo
    February 13, 2015 at 4:49 am Reply

    With a 462 WHV, aside from the possibility of finding an employer who can sponsor, what other options do I have if I want to extend my stay in Australia?


    • admin
      March 19, 2015 at 4:57 am Reply

      Hi Marielle,

      So sorry for the late response! Your comment got caught in our spam filter.

      Finding an employer who can sponsor is the easiest way, but your primary options aside from that would be applying for a partner visa if you have an Australian partner or, more likely, enroling in courses and applying for a student visa.

      Good luck!

  3. The Lowdown on Australian Working Holiday Visas
    March 23, 2015 at 8:35 am Reply

    […] for a full year, you’ll have to find at least two jobs. Also, for those on a 417 visa (see What Are the Differences between 417 Working Holiday Visas & 462 Work and Holiday Visas?), you can extend your visa for a second year if you complete three months of specified regional […]

  4. Keita
    July 13, 2015 at 4:50 am Reply

    Just a quick question. I am looking to apply for Subclass 417. I am Japanese passport holder and current residing in Australia on Subclass 485 and it will expire soon. I would like to know if it is possible for me to apply Subclass 417 in Newzealand.

  5. juman
    August 8, 2015 at 9:39 am Reply

    Dear sir
    i am in Australia as an work and holiday visa holder 462. I am interested to stay here longer. plz help me about the process and cost and the way to get it.

  6. yunakun
    October 19, 2015 at 12:45 pm Reply

    hey there, im about to move to Aus based on these programmers. please recommend which one should I apply
    also, i have searched lots of infor so far, but im still wondering if these programs require the certificate of IELTS or not? please specify. Many thanks to your team!

  7. JJ
    December 23, 2015 at 2:34 am Reply

    I knew that subclass 462 visa limits the number of applicants in each year. But what about subclass417? Do they limit that? Or anyone can apply anytime?

  8. Naveen
    February 8, 2016 at 1:02 am Reply

    Hi.. Is someone from India is eligible for working holiday visa in Australia? Thanks.

  9. jason
    June 1, 2016 at 4:32 am Reply

    Make sure you google 417,462 visa exploitation..Its been rife in Australia..Working more hours than whats documented and if you complain the employer wont sign you off for extended stay..Also accommodation is like triple normal rate.

  10. daniella
    August 20, 2016 at 1:46 am Reply

    I am currently in Australia on my American passport on a 462. I am a dual citizen of Canada as well. Am I eligible for a 417 first or second year working holiday visa? What are my options to stay in Australia? I currently live and work in Townsville which is considered rural Australia and would count towards my regional work.

  11. Peter Mackay
    September 27, 2016 at 3:59 am Reply

    Are persons from the Philippines able to participate in the 417 or 462 working holiday as they are not listed?
    If they are not included, why is that?

    • Aussie Working Holiday
      September 27, 2016 at 5:26 am Reply

      Dear Peter

      Eligible countries and the number of visas issued per year are usually negotiated between Australia and the particular country in question. This would be based on the arrangement being mutually beneficial.

      At the time of writing, Australia and the Philippines have not entered into an arrangement for 417/462 visas, thereby not being available for eligible people from the Philippines to have an extended stay in Australia for working holiday/work and holiday purposes.



  12. Kate
    February 18, 2017 at 4:23 am Reply

    If I have a 462 WHV and I want to stay for a second year, can I apply for a 417 WHV? I’m from the United States, does that also have any effect?

Leave A Comment