How to Claim Australian Tax Back


Sun, sea, surfing and wide open roads – what’s not to love about Australia?! It’s not hard to understand why thousands of people visit the country for a working holiday each year.

If you go on a working holiday in Australia, you’ll be taxed on your earnings. Between 19-32.5% will be deducted from your wages, which may seem like a lot, but luckily this doesn’t all have to be lost money!

The good news is that you may be able to claim a tax refund.

If you’re not familiar with Australian tax laws, we’re here to answer the most common questions when it comes to Australian tax refunds.

Am I eligible for an income tax refund?

If you stay in Australia for more than 183 days (6 months), you’ll most likely be deemed a resident for tax purposes and qualify for a tax refund. Even if you’re planning to stay less, you can still claim your superannuation refund when you leave.

When can I apply for my OZ tax back?

You can apply for your Australian tax refund at end of the tax year or one month before you leave the country. The tax year in Oz runs from July 1st to June 30th.

Do I need a Tax File Number?

Yes, you do. Your TFN (Tax File Number) is a unique number issued by the Australian Taxation Office, and anyone planning to work in Australia needs to get one. Your TFN enables you to pay the correct amount of taxes, to start and change jobs easily, claim a refund, and avail of many other benefits.

What’s a superannuation refund?

Superannuation, known also as ‘super’, is a retirement scheme in Australia. If you earn more than $450 monthly, your employer is legally obliged to pay the equivalent of 9.5% of your salary into a superannuation fund.

The good news is that once you leave Australia, you can get that money back. Unlike an income tax refund, a super refund is not affected by the duration of your stay, so make sure you claim it back when you leave the country permanently.

Can I use an authorized tax agent to help me with my tax return?

If you’re not familiar with Australian tax laws and the whole process of claiming a refund seems tedious and complicated, then you should consider using the services of an authorized tax agent like Their team of tax experts will help you with any questions you might have about your Australian tax return.

So, instead of filling out forms and searching for missing documents, let them do the work while you plan your next trip! Find more about services and how to register here.

Share this article

Recent posts

Popular categories


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent comments

Aussie Working Holiday on Life on the Vines